Sunday 5 July 2020

Zakir Diary - Thadhiginathom: Part 2


School and Schooling
My formal education began when my father enrolled me in the local state-run elementary school. He himself was employed as a teacher at the state-run high school, so this was convenient for both him and me.

The elementary school, as well as the high school, had large playgrounds attached to them for students to pursue sports and athletics. However, I astutely avoided getting involved in any sports or athletics. The main reason for my avoidance was that I was keenly aware of the physical repercussions that would befall me at home if I was caught playing out in the sun. I was also apprehensive because I had once fractured my left hand merely by falling down. The cast I was to wear for two months gave an excuse to many distant relatives to come to our house under the pretense of inquiring of my wellbeing. Most overstayed their welcome and our house was transformed to resemble a temple during festival season for the entire two months I had the cast on. I appreciated their concern; but my grandmother did not appreciate all the associated expenses or the work. So, from that point on, I was confined to the house - like sheep to a pen - and was forced to endure her vigilant care.

Read more in the site

No comments:

Post a Comment