Sunday 20 February 2022

Tribute - Ati Sundar-i: A personal homage - Ashish Mohan Khokar

Sundari amma was my father's friend of college days. I mean he treated her as one and she was just his age, even if she had a fancy title in Kalakshetra. He found her pesky and a typical domineering type who took her title of Deputy Superintendent too seriously. Hailing from Punjab, first male student of Kalakshetra from North, a real defence commissioner's son didn't listen to her instructions one bit. That made her more pesky and he teased her more. Once she was asleep on her cot and as he was passing by on his cycle, he saw her braids hanging, so in mischief he just cut off one! This was their friendship, which remained till the end. His gene transferred to me and I also always joked with her. She was always indulgent and nice. There was no age difference almost. She could talk kid stuff to kids, grown up things to grownups. Besotted by Sankara Menon and in love with Mohan Khokar, she was a true sundari of heart.

Read more in the site

Pl provide your name and email id along with your comment

7 comments:

  1. A very heartouching & A very sweet way of giving tribute to her.
    My humble Pranam.

    Abdul Khalid
    abkhalid16@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Moving and touching tribute.. May her soul attain sadgati....Om Shanthi πŸ™πŸΌπŸ™πŸΌ

    ReplyDelete
  3. Minal Prabhu
    A beautiful tribute to a wonderful lady who was bold and way beyond her times. Your beautifully worded touching article brought her alive and. rekindled my memory of her and my association with her. May her Atma attain Shanti!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This article can be summed up as grand mother's tayir sadam and lemon pickle.
    Bon appetite!!

    Though I've heard about such amazing people, but these memoirs make them a piece of art.
    A perfect recipe for life (the real dance drama) -It has music, poetry, theatre, dance, fun and spontaneity.

    People like me (youngsters), find the content motivating and inspiring, that shows different facets of life.

    I feel blessed to be part of Kalakshetra, fortunate enough to walk on the soil where legends have walked, doesn't it sound like -Thengai payasam.
    I'am loving it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heart touching read ,with so much life that they lived & mostly i liked the part that you interacted with her so much & so much of kindness ,really nice to read it , thanks Ashish ji

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved this article.... khup sundar... SnS come alive through your pen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gayathri Keshavan22 February 2022 at 22:40

    What a soul Sundari Amma was. Bold, brainy and beautiful. Such a nice tribute to her reading which I felt I have met her.

    ReplyDelete