I came to creative aging a few years ago through neuroscience and a series of losses in my family. Growing up in Ahmedabad, I learned Bharatanatyam at the Darpana Academy of Performing Arts. My doctoral and postdoctoral work has been in neuroscience, more specifically in epilepsy; my clinical experience was with children who have refractory epilepsies. After my postdoctoral appointment, I lost my mother, mother-in-law, and a close older friend. Seeing formerly vibrant women being treated with pity and condescension when they were sick and frail, I was moved to think of ways to use my scientific and dance training to alleviate suffering, especially in older adults. I wanted to see if I could use Bharatanatyam as a vessel to provide a space where older adults can exercise their full human potential.
Please type your name along with your comment. Anonymous and derogatory comments are likely to be removed.

I have had the pleasure of seeing Sloka in action in senior settings and participating in some of her classes, and I’ve seen firsthand the remarkable positive impact she has, both mentally and physically, on those around her. She is a talented and compassionate artist, and I deeply admire the way she shares her gift to bring movement, creativity, connection, and joy into the lives of older adults. Truly beautiful and inspiring work!
ReplyDeletemariagracia9@yahoo.com —Maria—the exercises I practice from the sacred dance teachings of Dr. Sloka Iyengar, have helped me enormously in Body - mind Integration and awareness, overall serenity. Gratitudeđź’—
ReplyDelete