Every Guru Purnima, we celebrate the guru. This year, my gratitude
extends beyond my guru to the institution she has cultivated over three
decades: Natya Vriksha. I have come to recognise that the greatest
choreography of dancer Geeta Chandran (Akka, as generations of us
affectionately call her) may not be a work created for the stage at all.
It is the institution she has built. To build an institution is among
the most demanding acts of artistic practice. Choreographies conclude
after the final applause, but institutions demand care every single day.
When I first entered Natya Vriksha as a young student, everyone around
me believed I was rolling in a dance school, where I would acquire a
vocabulary of movement and, one day, perform. Little did I know that
this was where my becoming would quietly unfold. Today, whatever I have
become, as a dancer, researcher, a teacher, administrator, and a
cultural practitioner, has its roots there. Natya Vriksha gave me ground
steady enough to take flight from, and a place to land each time I
returned.
Please type your name along with your comment. Anonymous and derogatory comments are likely to be removed.
So well written, Amritha di. It’s true that the institution itself becomes a nurturer. its makes you understand patience, collaboration, art appreciation and so much more
ReplyDelete