Thursday 11 July 2024

Article - The connection is in the creativity, sustainable communities through Community based Arts - Serenity Wise

Not many know it, but there is a lot of power in your local weekly community dance class. I have always been involved in some type of community-based arts group (mainly dance). After extensive opportunities to learn from dance groups around the world, I began to notice something beyond the specific dance activities at hand. There was something significant about the ability each group had to educate, inspire growth, and foster a sense of belonging amongst its participants. To better understand how arts groups do what they do, I began to research, starting through my own art form of choice, dance. I have since spent the last eight years exploring and researching the informal and formal ways that community dance groups operate, and how they do what they do. While there is an ample and increasing amount of literature about the benefits of community-based arts groups, there is less information available about how the groups create those benefits. To contribute to this aspect of the research, I regularly seek opportunities to connect with dancers, to learn about their groups and dance practices. Whenever  possible, I invite them to speak to my classes of dance students, to share insight into their processes.

Read more in the site

Please provide your name / email id along with your comment. Anonymous and derogatory comments will be removed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment