Wednesday 8 February 2023

Profile - Jiwan Pani - Surbhi Agarwal

Jiwan Pani exhibited a keen interest in music, dance, and theatre since childhood. He also enjoyed playing the flute and cricket—besides, he cherished photography and cooking. At the age of thirteen, his first poem was published, which was widely applauded. He became a celebrated poet and lyricist whose art was sung by every common man. He was solely responsible for bringing forward the Orissa art aesthetics to the classical level. The paramount interest and versatility in every form of art left him no space untouched. He was conferred the Orissa Sangeet Natak Akademi Award for his outstanding study of the performing arts of Orissa. Some of his pioneering works include research studies on Chhau and Odissi dance forms, as well as puppets and masks of India.

Read more in the site

Please provide your name / email id along with your comment. Anonymous and derogatory comments will be removed.

3 comments:

  1. This story of Jeevan Pani by you is so illuminating! Though he is our very own hero in the field of culture, particularly odia Culture, I had little knowledge about him. I will certainly read your other essays in the blogspot. Thanks for your effort.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the privilege of knowing him since my childhood and I have not come across any other such highly versatile person so far in my life..
    Pani uncle will live in our memories forever...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for writing such a beautiful article on my father. I am his fifth child. His original name was Jibanand Pani. When he came to Delhi to join Sangeet Natak Academy. He was called Jiwan Pani. He used to joke around and say “I left my Ananda in Orissa so now I am only Jiwan”. My bapa led a very saintly life and he passed away like a saint too! I still miss and remember his flute playing in the evening. I used to request him songs to play 😊

    ReplyDelete