Tuesday 7 December 2021

Interview - Sutikshna Veeravalli: Dance and dissolution of boundaries - Rolie Breja

"I grew up with a purist mentality because, somewhere, I knew I would be judged if I didn't. I wonder if most people who consider themselves purist defend that identity because that's the expectation they sense from others... that that's how a specific group of others would like them to be, in order to retain legitimacy. Ultimately, I don't consider myself a purist anymore. There is a sense of elitism and power it stems from. And I would like to stem from inclusion, instead," says Sutikshna Veeravalli, an Indian dancer in Chicago, US, who has grown up there, as a person and as an artist. She has been pursuing Bharatanatyam and Carnatic vocal music for over 20 years.

Read more in the site

Pl provide your name and email id along with your comment

No comments:

Post a Comment