Friday 11 December 2020

Obit/Tribute - Astad Deboo (1947-2020) - Ashish Mohan Khokar

Astad Deboo was a lone ranger. His whole life in dance was a quest for an inner urge to express and he traversed the globe many times over. In fact, he is the only Indian dancer who has been to places many have only heard of but never been to: Mongolia, Morocco or Machu Picchu. Add Bolivia, Belarus or Buenos Aires. Sudan, Sweden, Seoul. Astad flew so much he could've owned an airline by now!

Read more in the site


Pl provide your name and email id (if you wish) at the end of your comment

3 comments:

  1. Thank you very much Ashish. Astad might break into a wry smile if he read it....
    best
    Uttara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting to read about Astad Deboo ji. There were so many things I got to know about him! I remember watching him on TV while growing up......first introduction to a male dancer in a contemporary style.....I was extremely fascinated by his dance moves!! Dance has always been a part of my life in some capacity and I am currently learning Kathak from Guru Sampada Pillai. She shared this with us students so I thought I would add my thoughts! I am sure he's dancing away now too....

    ReplyDelete

  3. It's difficult to fathom the death of a vibrant dancer like Astad... I have seen Astad since early 70s... when I read your article in Narthaki, a number of visuals were vivid in front of my eyes... how truly you have described them in your article... Your portrayal about the evolution in his thought-process hit the core without unnecessary adjectives...

    ReplyDelete