Sunday 11 September 2016

Tribute - Dinanath Pathy: a Sutra tribute to a Beacon of Art - Ramli Ibrahim


The news of Dr Dinanath Pathy’s demise on the morning of 29 August 2016 came as a double-whammy shock during my breakfast in Bali, literally minutes after I had learnt of the death of another icon, the Australian-Balinese architect, Made Vijaya. I had just spoken of Pathy’s article in Quintessential Sutra during its Bali book release, just the previous day.  I had alluded to Pathy’s connection with Bali - how he was the visualiser of the Kalinga-Bali Yatra (1992) mooted by the former Chief Minister of Odisha, the late Biju Patnaik. My speech had emphasised the continuity of Malaysia-Bali-Odisha connection till the present day. Pathy, who had not been to Bali since, together with artist Lekhasri Samantsinghar and her husband Bijay, had once again travelled to Bali in August 2013, with me as guide. We had a splendid time. Many anecdotes of that landmark Bali-Odisha cultural mission were recounted by Pathy and many jig-saw pieces put in perspective. 

Read the tribute in the site

No comments:

Post a Comment