Wednesday 29 April 2020

Article - Pandemic notes - Dr. Srinidhi Chidambaram

I have often been questioned how it feels pursuing two very different professions - healthcare and performing Bharatanatyam - both having a steady parallel trajectory all these years in my life. The COVID-19 pandemic has for the first time, made me feel a deep sense of gratitude that I have these professions in my life, ensuring that no day remains unproductive, predictable and boring.

I am a Public Health medical postgraduate but my work at Apollo Hospitals spans many dimensions. I don't directly treat patients but with data, outcomes and communication. My work in health communication and my participation in our extensive online initiatives and our Project Kavach give me a great feeling of contributing what I can to help people. Of course, if the outbreak grows larger (which I pray won't happen), I will be there in the front line helping in whatever way I can with my medical training.

My other great passion Bharatanatyam helps me keep fit and energised. It is absolutely fabulous to dance without a performance angle (Though I do have Insta performances lined up!). I have pulled out videos and audio tapes of my performances when I was in my teens and twenties. Dancing to my Guru Swamimalai S K Rajarathnam's haunting music and jathis is wonderful. Zesty Vazhuvoor jathis and swaras at high speed is more than enough to test stamina and endurance after so many years have gone by! I am also practising dancing to the adavus in slow speeds to gain better form. With all of us house bound, it is precious time as my husband shuttles between the parliamentary constituency and Delhi, while my daughter studies at Cambridge University.

Read more in the site

No comments:

Post a Comment