Thursday 15 October 2015

Interview - Gayatri Sriram: Samarpana Festival in Singapore - Tapati Chowdurie


Gayatri Sriram, artistic director of Sruti Laya, recently celebrated Samarpana - The Asian Festival of Classical Dance in Singapore at the prestigious Esplanade Theatre. Samarpana has taken long strides in a very short time. In the very fourth year of its existence, Samarpana has been helped by Jyoti Ramesh of Jade Group International, Singapore and supported by National Arts Council Singapore. 
Though she hails from a family of bankers, “My father's side was artistically inclined. My  paternal grandfather, though a lawyer was a wonderful mridangist. I was introduced to Bharatanatyam at the age of five and Hindustani classical music as well. I think in a certain way my mother wanted to dance through me. I think it is her vision of me as a Bharatanatyam dancer that set the stage in some way. I also learnt the veena for several years. My interest in dance for the first few years were mostly driven by my mother’s push," she said exuberantly, in an informal get-together. 



Read the interview in the site

No comments:

Post a Comment