Friday 1 May 2015

Anita says - May 2015 message

As I write this month's message, I learn of the earthquake in Nepal. That, alongside the dance-quake that occurred throughout India on April 29th (World Dance Day) would have been enough for an entire month of contemplation and recouping for body and spirit.
It is precisely when these natural calamities happen close to the heels of performances that we  are called to question the place of the arts in our lives. In Nepal the earthquake devastated temples, precious memories of history and civilization and more than 6000 lives. (The death toll is climbing as you read this). Around the world more than 20,000 dancers must have celebrated WDD in some way or another. Social media was groaning with the avalanche of images from dancers who were celebrating in so many ways. Bangalore and Delhi were in the national spotlight with large scale events and flash mobs took shoppers in Chennai and Bombay by surprise.


Read the message in the site

1 comment:

  1. Dear Anita,
    I’ve just found this. “Indian Culture in every muscle” was a headline written by an editor. I’d never write that way myself. As you know, I’ve travelled a little in India, and love both the nation and the culture considerably, while trying to educate myself in them (and hoping to return).
    All best,
    Alastair

    ReplyDelete